Ok, so I admit it is not the greatest photo, but I just had to share this recipe! My sister-in-law had made low carb, gluten free donuts and she said they came out dry. I had also made donuts using another LC-GF recipe and they also came out dry. So I figured I would try a cross between the two recipes, hence the birth of these yummy chocolate donuts with only 1.5 net carbs per donut. So this is one is for those who are low carb or gluten free (or both) and have an addiction to donuts…yes, that would be me.
**quick shopping tip-I have to give major credit to my sister-in-law for finding the organic almond flour at Fresh Thyme Farmers Market that has 0 net carbs!!!! So if you can buy organic, definitely do it!
Low Carb – Gluten Free
2/3 cup almond flour
1/2 cup erythritol
1/2 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter melted
1/2 cup sour cream
4 Tbsp heavy cream
3 eggs separated
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
Preheat oven to 350° F
- Whip egg whites until they have stiff peaks and set aside
- In another bowl combine all of your other wet ingredients and mix well (butter, sour cream, heavy cream, egg yolks, and vanilla)
- Add all of your dry ingredients mixing as you add (almond flour, erythritol, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and cocoa powder)
- Once wet and dry ingredients are mixed well, gently fold in your egg whites.
- Pour mixture into a greased donut pan.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- As soon as they come out of the oven place them in the freezer for about 20 minutes. This helps to retain moisture.
Makes 12 donuts
I tried these donuts with Walden Farms chocolate syrup as a topping with a little bit of unsweetened coconut flakes. Delicious!
Nutrition per donut:
Calories – 163
Fat – 16g
Net Carbs – 1.5g
Protein – 4g